Resources provided by Mental Health America (https://mhanational.org/)
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy: Multiracial Families: https://www.aamft.org/Consumer_Updates/Multiracial_Families.aspx
- APA Bill of Rights For People Of Mixed Heritage: https://www.apa.org/pubs/videos/4310742-rights.pdf
- For Multiracial People Toolkit: https://thetoolkit.wixsite.com/toolkit/for-multiracial-people-families
- Mandala Center for Change: Multi-Heritage and Mixed Race Resources: https://www.mandalaforchange.com/resources/articles/multi-heritage-mixed-race-resources/
- Mixed in America: https://www.mixedinamerica.org/
- Mixed Identity Workbook: https://www.mixedinamerica.org/free-workbook/
- Mixed Life Media: https://www.mixedlife.net/
- NPR Code Switch Team: https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/
- Racial Imposter Syndrome- Here are your stories: https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2018/01/17/578386796/racial-impostor-syndrome-here-are-your-stories
- Resources That Explore Identity for Multicultural or Mixed-Race Families: https://socialworklicensemap.com/blog/resources-explore-multicultural-identity-mixed-race-families/
- The Wholeness of Being a Mixed Race Person: https://www.inclusivetherapists.com/blog/the-wholeness-of-being-a-mixed-race-person
- Toward Racial Justice- Multiracial Family Dynamics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9K_tyymNp0
- Why Imposter Syndrome Goes Deep for Multiracial People: https://mhanational.org/blog/why-imposter-syndrome-goes-deep-multiracial-people
Tip Sheet: Talking to Your Provider About Mental Health
- Advocate for yourself. Share your needs and desires with your providers.
- Ask for providers who are culturally responsive and have experience working with individuals of similar identities to you.
- Ask your provider to document everything that is discussed, including any denials of treatments that you want.
- Seek combinations of mental health care that is right for your unique needs.
- Avoid mental health care due to shame.
- Feel obligated to choose a Western model of mental health care.
- Exclusively use one type of mental health care without exploring all options that feel right to you.
Remember: If MINES is your EAP you have access to a variety of wellness and mental health support including access to a specialty provider network of counselors with a diverse range of specialties and backgrounds able to serve any nationality, culture, or population group. Call 1-800-873-7138 or visit www.minesandassociates.com to access your services today!
To Your Wellbeing,
-The MINES Team
Leave A Comment